Sunday, May 2, 2010

Late to the party again, but I liked it

So I saw avatar last night.

Yeah, I know. With the exception of one primitive South American Amazon River tribesman who was battling malaria when they missionaries showed it down there, I'm the last person in the world to see it. It really is a common theme in my life. I've consistently joined in to the latest trends about five seconds prior to their relevance ceasing. I'm honestly surprised the world hasn't quit blogging since I started mine a week or so ago.

But this blog isn't about that...I'll save this gripe for another day. No, today I thought I would actually give my views on the movie. If you would like to move on to another blog that is a little more timely, like perhaps something discussing the 2008 presidential election, I'll understand.

First off, I didn't get to see the movie in all it's 3D splendor. I've heard from some people that missing out on that aspect really ruins the movie. Fortunately, I didn't share that experience. That's a good thing, if you ask me. If a movie has to rely on the latest, greatest special effects advancements to prop up a weak or nonexistent storyline, then the movie should not have been made. (I'm looking at you, George Lucas. No really, I am. Close your blinds!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a movie snob. Those people honestly drive me nuts. There are a few types of these annoying souls. You have the typical movie critic, who thinks that every movie has to "say" something. They're the type that if it isn't Citizen Kane, they raise their nose like I would at "boxed" wine. The second kind over analyzes a movie, questioning everything, searching for things that are unrealistic. Another kind is the comic book guy, who hates any comic book movie that doesn't adhere to the canon of the comics. I'm sorry "graphic novel" That's like calling two moron beating the piss out of each other "Mixed Martial Arts." Oh wait...anyway...

As for the first type, it's a pretentious approach that is annoying to the average Joe, and makes it hard for those people to enjoy a movie. The second type finds themselves unable to be immersed, and have a hard time enjoying a movie. The third type spends their time too pissed off that they dared kill off Cyclops to enjoy the movie. Notice a pattern there? They can't enjoy the movie. When I watch a movie, I WANT to enjoy it. It's a way to escape the stresses of reality. I TRY to enjoy a movie. I don't care if it doesn't have a message, I don't care if it's unrealistic. I get plenty of reality, give me something new. I didn't read comics, it's probably the only nerd-thing I DIDN'T do. So who cares. I want to be entertained.

That brings me to the movie. (You thought I forgot, huh?) I enjoyed it. I had read a lot of negative things online (big shock, since everyone online prides themselves on fitting in to one of the above categories) and as such, was prepared to dislike the movie. But I found myself immersed in the imaginary world of Pandora. The visuals were stunning, the characters were fun and the plot was tolerable.

Yes, the plot was lifted from another movie. No, I don't mean the Pocahontas plot that has been circulating the interwebs. I mean it was lifted from pretty much every movie that involves a love interest. Think about it. Boy meets girl. Girl doesn't like boy at first. Boy wins girl over. Boy does something to screw it all up, girl leaves. Boy redeems himself. All is well. All you have to do it "fill in the blanks." The who, the when, the what did the boy do to piss her off, and you have a movie. It's how those blanks are filled that determines if the movie is good or not.

I thought those blanks were filled quite well. I was entertained, wondering how he was going to pull the solution out of his ass...or whatever orifice it is that Na'avi have. The journey was a fun one to take. I always enjoy a movie where the weaker guy kicks the crap out of someone stronger. I have no idea why...as a smaller guy who was always shorter than the guys picking on him, I can't come up with a psychological explanation for it... *cough*

I also remember reading some reviews saying they felt there could possibly be a comparison between the Na'avi and Native Americans. To that I say: "Gee, ya think? Did you notice they were blue, too?" The veil of the Na'avi and the early settlers treatment of the Native Americans is about as thin and transparent as a piece of wet one ply toilet paper. As such, this movie really did say something, but it did it in such an entertaining manner that I didn't find myself rolling my eyes as I'm preached to. Instead, it allowed me to reflect on how we really do treat "lesser" cultures in such a manner, and that there needs to be a balance between human needs and the needs of nature.

All in all, I really enjoyed the movie, and I'm curious to see how they work out a sequel. While I wait, maybe I'll show up late to another party. I hear there is an English playwright who is really quite the genius. Shakespeare or something like that...

1 comment:

  1. You are NOT the last person to see Avatar. I have not seen it yet and don't intend to. I refuse to 1) watch anything remotely related to sci-fi 2) spend 2+ hours of my life in a theatre seat to watch a movie and 3) if I were to spend 2+ hours of my life AT HOME watching anything, it still wouldn't be anything related to sci-fi.

    Glad you are blogging. Commenting on it is one more way I can find to drive you crazy.

    ReplyDelete